Monday, May 31, 2010

Grandpa


Happy Memorial Day. :)

Today I've been thinking a lot about my Grandpa Gardner. My grandpa passed away a few weeks before Easter in 2003. I believe that he was 93, but I'm not sure (help, Mom!). At the end of his days, he was quite frail and sometimes didn't recognize some of the people that he's always loved so much. But I like to remember my grandpa from when I was a little girl. This picture above was taken in the late 80's and I LOVE to see how strong and vibrant he still was then. I also love to see just how much my grandma adores him in this picture.

When I was a little girl running through his house, his garden, and his basement study, he would sometimes catch me and pick me up on his hip. He used to call me his little "imagination maker" and said how much I reminded him of my mom at that age. A thought that meant little to me then, but means the world to me now. He had a big black leather office chair that could spin faster then anything, and we would whirl around in that thing until we were sick. But he never minded.... the spinning OR the sickness.

My grandpa is buried in Star Valley, Wyoming. The morning after his funeral, the whole family made the drive up there to bury him near his family's history and near my great-great-grandfather. But I woke up very sick and could not make the trip. I haven't seen my grandpa's grave yet, but Kevin has promised me that he will take me there someday. And I want Noah to come and help me bring him flowers. I like to think that maybe Grandpa and Noah have met already somehow.

So this Memorial Day, I remember you Grandpa. Miss you and love you dearly. :)

@>->--

3 comments:

Jaime Dubois said...

I miss Grandpa too!!!! I was thinking about him a lot yesterday as well. What a nice tribute to him on Memorial Day!! Love you! :)

KaraLee Stephenson said...

What a wonderful tribute. I have been thinking about him all month because May 19th was his birthday. This year he would have been 101 years old!

Amanda said...

So interesting...star valley is REALLY close to home for me!