Monday, November 16, 2009

One Last Nut!!!


There are aliens on my roof... At least that's what it sounds like. Like in the M. Night Shyamalan movie Signs... When the aliens are crawling all over the outside of the house and over the roof and down through the coal shaft (Did I just spoil something for those of you who haven't watched it? Sorry....) All those little claws..... Awwwwww! (Full body shiver.)

Signs happens to be one of my favorite movies. And if you STILL think that movie was about aliens, we need to have a talk.

Anywhoo - For the last few months, I've been awakened by the that eerie, scratchy, creepy-crawly sound running across my roof and usually right above my bedroom. The culprits?

SQUIRRELS.

They are EVERYWHERE out here in the Midwest. Jumping from tree to tree, taunting the dogs, and eating all of the herb gardens. I do love that people leave corn cobs and little feeders everywhere for them, because I think they're really cute. Even though some of them are bigger than our neighbor's CAT. I just don't like waking up to their shenanigans!

I first REALLY experienced squirrels when I was 8 and my family moved to Minneapolis, MN. Until then, I'd seen the occasional critter while camping at Tony Grove Lake, or up in the mountains. But my siblings and I were just not prepared for what we saw in Brooklyn Park. Squirrels everywhere - running on the power lines, hanging out on the living room window pane, and crossing every street. Which brings me to the fond memory of our dad, driving our awesome mid-80's minivan with all of us buckled in, SWERVING to try and HIT the squirrels... All the while declaring that said squirrel was screaming "Wait!!! Just one last nut! ONE LAST NUT!!!!..."

He was kidding of course. We all knew that squirrels couldn't talk.... Oh! And he was kidding about the whole swerving thing, too. :) Love you, Dad!


I always forget about the squirrel phenomenon out here in the Midwest until I move away and then come back. When we moved to Indiana, I had my first encounter with individuals who actually SHOT and ATE these critters. At first, I was appalled. But then I realized that yes... They were an ample source of food if needed. Then we moved back to Oregon for a few years. Now here we are in Nebraska... And I can no longer sleep in... not while they search for that one last nut.

Where's a mid-80's minivan when you need it?

Shake your bushy tail,

Nicole
@>->--

P.S. Back to Signs.... Oh, Joaquin. Why did you have to go Coo-Coo???? You were the sweetest Merrill Hess, the most incredible Commodus...

... And you WERE Johnny Cash. Come back to us!!!


3 comments:

Jaime Dubois said...

I remember well the squirrels in Minnesota! They were crazy and definitely EVERYWHERE!! That's neat that you get to see them out there in 'Braska. However, what are you planning to do about them keeping you awake at night? That really can't continue for too long. :)

K+N+N+A said...

Um... Like I said, they are an ample food source. Just kidding! THAT would be an interesting Thanksgiving.

Nicole
@>->--

Amanda said...

I still think Signs was about Aliens...what is it really about? We like it too, we even own it, so tell me your thoughts.