Sunday, October 11, 2009

Worth The Wait


I've been very careful about talking with Noah about the possibility of a baby brother or sister. Children definitely live in the moment, and they get so excited about something and then want it right away. Since we really have no idea just how long it may be until that dream might come true, I've been hesitant to suggest it to him.

But the other day we were in his room and I just felt the need to ask him what he would think about having a baby brother or sister.

"You know, Noah... Someday Daddy and Mommy may bring home a little baby, and you could be their big brother. We could get out the baby crib again and put it next to your big boy bed..."

His eyes lit up and he went on and on about helping me feed the baby milk, bringing me diapers, giving the baby kisses and hugs, and so on... I made sure to end our little talk by reiterating that it may be awhile, but that it's good to be happy about it and it's okay to think about it. We moved on with our day.

The next morning, I was in the kitchen feeding my Abbie when my little boy wandered downstairs in his footed jammies, carrying his favorite toys. When he got to the bottom step, he paused and looked around.

Then he looked at me:

"Baby here yet?"

The tears came and I allowed myself to cry for a little bit before I answered:

"I'm working on it, Baby."


7 comments:

chaela said...

Nicole, so touching. Worth the wait is absolutely right. I love you and think of you often!

Kim said...

He's the sweetest boy ever! What a great big brother he'll be and it is worth the wait! I'm thinking of you!

Jaime Dubois said...

He will be the BESTEST big brother any baby/kid could ask for!!!!!! I love that little guy, and what a sweet moment to share with him. Hang in there 'cuz I KNOW that it is coming...like you, I just don't know when. I love you guys!!

Erin said...

I love you...and Noah. What a wonderful little boy. He was worth the wait! You are brave to tell Noah. Marissa is so impatient I could never tell her anything like that. Give Noah hugs for me.

Brianna said...

How sweet and innocent little children are... I love and cherish that.

It's coming and this post managed to give me chills, and that's always a good sign. :)

AmyPoll said...

He is such a sweetie...he will be the best big brother. I had a great time seeing your parents a few days ago. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this moment with us. I love you guys so much and think about the fun time we had in Oregon often.