Sunday, March 7, 2010

WARNING: This post is about... um... Poop.


Yes, it's true. I have chosen a rather interesting topic for my next addition to our G-rated family blog. But if you knew what we've been going through lately on the Potty Training front, you'd jump for joy and blog about it, too!!!

Two weeks ago, I would have sworn that Mr. Noah would be wearing diapers happily until he leaves for college. I do not exaggerate... But then a break through. I found an AMAZING product that came at just the right time in his little Toy Story obsession. Huggies makes pull-ups that not only have Buzz and Woody on them, but they can peel open on the sides in case there's a... you know... "mess" inside. The first time Noah messed in his regular pull-up, I wasn't quite sure how to deal with it. But we managed. And there I go mentioning the main subject of this post again.

AnyWHOO...

The day before I discovered the Huggies, I had counted the remaining diapers in the house. Mainly just to torture myself. #23... Thanks for asking! Then I brought home these awesome Toy Story pull-ups and soon noticed that my little boy did NOT want to get them wet. (long inhale)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeyyyy!!!!

I mean, sure we have the occasional accident. But he started to wake up at 2:00am and want to sit on the potty. And he would actually GO. Amazing. Then in the mornings, he would tell me that he wanted to sit on the potty before he told me Good Morning. AND he would actually GO. Incredible. I'd always heard that boys take their sweet, sweet time with some things: talking, potty training, learning to understand women, etc. I knew that there was a little switch that needed to flip inside and he would be "ready" to learn. And I also knew that until that happened, I was only training MYSELF and frustrating him. So Kevin and I bought a couple of soft, padded potty seats with his favorite licensed-characters on them and just kept encouraging our little boy.

BUT... he had yet to attempt the big deed on the potty. Noah would usually wait until I put him in quiet time and then he'd just take of business in his pull-up (or underpants if we were having a great day up until then... YEAH.) I'd read that a lot of kids potty train really well but get scared about the idea of going #2. So, I figured that we'd just deal with that awhile longer.


And then Noah surprised us. We all know that our children amaze us everyday, but sometimes they just flat out SURPRISE the socks off of us. Today after church, Kevin and I are trying to relax downstairs for a few minutes while Noah is in quiet time. True to form, about fifteen minutes after we'd put him upstairs, he opened his door.

"Noah, it's still quiet time."

"No, but I want to sit on the potty."

(Thinking it's a stall tactic) "Then go ahead. You know how."

See, at this point I've always been there by him, but let him do things himself. I was just tired and being lazy and didn't have the strength for a battle. That was the only thing I could say to him. About five minutes later, we noticed how quiet it was upstairs. Did he go back to his room?

I drag myself upstairs to find Noah in the bathroom trying to don another pull-up. He'd peed in the other one before he made it to the potty.

(Seeing the wet pull-up) "That's okay, Baby. Are you done?"

(Nonchalantly...) "I went poo-poo."

(Not sure I heard him right.) "............"

(Pointing to the potty) "See?"

I walked over and looked. Then I broke out into a dance, clapping my hands and shouting for Kev to come upstairs and see what his brilliant, BRILLIANT little boy accomplished all by himself while his lazy parents sat downstairs. Noah was all smiles while chewing his peanut butter M&M's (his reward for going potty). Kevin checked it out and asked, "Do you want me to get the camera?" (Inside joke for the Smith's... Go Hayley!!!)

I am in awe of those of you who have potty-trained and lived to tell the tale. You have my undying love and admiration. :)

Hurray and Hallelujah! We'll see if he takes the initiative again next time. Either way, I'm just so proud of him. ALMOST proud enough to take a picture....

YEAH.

Love,
Someone who will soon be spending diaper money on SHOES. :)
@>->--


5 comments:

Brianna said...

Oh how I hate potty training, but oh how triumphant you feel when you have break throughs!

P.S.- Marlee did the exact same thing of waiting for nap time to poop in her pullup. On the bright side, it's a lot less unders to throw out, but it's a hard habit to break... so, be sure to pat yourself on the back for this awesome step forward!

C said...

Yay Noah.
#2 is SUCH a big accomplishment. We couldn't pass up taking a picture of that huge milestone in Hayley's life....but I had forgotten that we sent that picture out to everyone.
So gross. What was I thinking?

AmyPoll said...

Yeaaa Noah!!! We are proud of you!!!

Jaime Dubois said...

WOW!!! I definitely don't look forward to those days. Congrats, and way to go Noah! :)

Cindy said...

You are hilarious!!