Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ticking Bomb




A potty-training child is a ticking bomb... just waiting to well, explode at any second. Recently, as Noah has trotted around the house bare-bummed or donned the REAL underpants (not the pull-ups) as we venture out for a short walk with Abbie, I've been watching my little bomb like a hawk. I don't think I've ever spent so much time staring at my baby's cutie bootie as I have the last few weeks. Not sure what I was looking for. The inevitable wet spot or the dreaded "lump." Sorry. And then there's the ever so casual pat on the bum just to make sure he's dry and un-soiled (so to speak!). I'm SO guilty.

But I've been put in my place. Today marks the third day that my Noah has been in real underpants all day long and today is also the FIRST accident-free day EVER. Yay!!!

But today I also learned a valuable lesson from my sweet, sweet little ticking time bomb. Trust. The teaching moment came just after breakfast as I attempted to get Noah into a pull-up instead of his HAND-PICKED freshly washed Buzz Lightyear space ranger super awesome real underpants. We had some errands to run and I knew that we'd be gone for at least two hours. A pull-up was part of the plan. But as I got on my knees to assist with the changing of the underpants, my darling little boy took a step back, looked at me, and broke my heart. Looking a little sad, he said:

"... I can do it."

Yeah, you better believe I started to cry. What was I thinking????? The obvious message I sent to my baby was that I didn't trust him. I was putting a pull-up on him for MY convenience, and not for his benefit. I was so ashamed. Finally, I got out:

"Yes, Baby. Of course you can!"

He beamed and headed for the car. I didn't care if he exploded all over Target. My little boy was going to have his day with his underpants.

Three hours later, we arrived back at home... Car full of groceries and Taco Bell. And one giddy little boy. Who was DRY as DRY can be...

I hope that I can earn HIS trust again soon. :)

Love,
A proud mommy
@>->--

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was just going to point out that although Nicole didn't care whether Noah "exploded all over Target," I'm sure that the Target employees had a different opinion.

Jaime Dubois said...

Yaaaayyyyyy!!!! I am so proud of Noah...and of his trusting mommy. That takes some serious "letting go" power to allow things to happen as they should. Also, I am proud to be the witness of the afternoon potty experience, wherein Noah went to the potty all on his own (of course, a little distracted by not wanting to miss whatever kid show he was watching at the time). But, he did it!! I couldn't be a prouder Aunt Jamz!!

Brianna said...

I think trust is a hard thing for us mommies... it takes away some of our control, but you can't learn to ride a bike without falling a few times, and the same goes for the potty!

So pack some extra pants, and extra Buzz unders, and be on your way!