Sunday, September 27, 2009

Napster...

I'm afraid to say it out loud... But it's true. My little boy has given up NAPS.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

He hasn't taken regular naps for over six months now, and I'm SO envious when I hear my friends talk about how their preschooler comes home from preschool and goes right into a nap. What would I do with myself???? In their defense, they all have at least one other munchkin to occupy their "free time." But still. Noah still NEEDS to nap, but he just chooses not to do it. I still insist that he has Quiet Time in his room. But that usually leads to total room destruction and/or baby powder incidents. He is such a different boy when he does partake of napping goodness, and I'm happy to let him stay up a little later because I know that he's rested. Without a nap, it's meltdown time around 5:00pm and I struggle to get him to eat dinner and get ready for bed. Oh well! I knew he wouldn't stay a baby forever.

When Kev comes in the door after work, he usually is attacked at the back door by Noah and Abbie. I think he looks forward to it! But one day as he came in the door, there was no ruckus, no stampede, and no delightful greeting for Daddy. I immediately left dinner prep to see where little boy was and we found him like this:


He'd finally given up! Another night, while I was again making dinner (there's a pattern here!), I looked over to the computer where Noah and Kev relax for a little bit when he comes home, and I saw THIS:






Oh scheduled naps... How we miss you! More importantly, how I miss MY quiet time while he sleeps! There goes my work-out and scrapbooking time... :) Maybe next year during preschool.

Here's one more picture of when Noah fell asleep at dinner time. At first I thought he was faking because it was Curry night, but then I saw the drool. We checked for vitals and then put him to bed. (He woke up two hours later just as WE were headed to bed... He felt much better after his nap...)



Nicole
@>->--

6 comments:

C said...

so sweet.

Terra said...

Xandy gave up naps very early too. FOrtunately, Jacob loves sleeping too much to give his up.

Jaime Dubois said...

I know what you mean...Savannah has not taken a nap for some time. But, this summer when we were visiting Oregon, she was beyond exhausted and we knew it. Jake tried to get her to lay down with him, but she wouldn't have it. She eventually got mad enough at him trying to get her to sleep that she kicked him out of the room. Next thing we knew, she was sound asleep. Those moments are rare for us anymore, but sometimes they are just needed.

P.S. He looks so peaceful when he is sleeping. I especially love the napping at the dinner table. Who even knew that was possible? :)

Kim said...

Yes...we have experienced this same phenomena in our home. Those are some cute pictures...
I hope you're feeling better! I missed you at church.

AmyPoll said...

We have one of Devon when he was about Noah's age. He fell asleep while trying to eat...food all over the face too. Maybe try giving him the "option" of reading books as long as he stays in his bed...that one works for us and 7 out of 10 times she usually falls asleep. But if I catch her out of bed or playing, she gets the toys and the books taken away and she just has to nap. Giving them that guided choice seems to work. Wish you the best...Mom's need that nap time as much or even more than the kids!!!

Erin said...

This will never happen to me, right?!? I love the pictures...thanks for sharing. I laughed out loud at him sleeping at the dinner table. Some nights I would go for that ;) I really miss you (plural)! Give Noah a squeeze from his Aunt Rinny.