Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sicko



My little boy has been under the weather. Last night was one of the those nights that you hope only comes in a blue moon. Man... I can't even put two thoughts together right now! Crazy. Here's the riveting story in a nutshell.

Kevin finished work at noon yesterday and we had plans to go see a much anticipated movie and grab a bite to eat. Our first date in a LONG time. Meanwhile, at home, I got out of the shower to find Noah sound asleep on the couch while watching Phineas and Ferb..... at NOON. Not a good sign. My little boy hasn't taken a regular nap since 2008. But I thought I would let him rest until I was ready and then he had a scheduled play date at a friend's house so we could have some time together. Kev came home and couldn't believe that Noah was asleep! Then we woke him to find that he was burning a fever of almost 104.

Play date cancelled. Date postponed. We had a little boy to hold. :)

The funny thing was that he had been acting perfectly "normal" up until that moment. He ate a great breakfast, chased Abbie for awhile, changed attire at least three times, and watched a few of his favorite shows. But right at noon... crazy fever. It happens. :)

My Noah isn't really a complainer. I mean, he'll tell you he's not feeling well, but he rarely gives specifics. But he started to tell me that his hips and neck hurt and he had stomach pain. The last piece of the puzzle is that Noah saw his doctor last week for a sinus infection and cough after 2 weeks of runny nose ickyness. And he hasn't finished that round of antibiotics. So I was concerned because he was on medicine and was suddenly spiking a high fever.

Urgent care... here we come!

Of course, the tylenol REALLY kicked in right after we got there. So he was all smiles, jokes, dances, and he had the doctor and assistants laughing pretty hard. He was wearing his Buzz jams, so that was the main topic of conversation. When the nurse came to the waiting room and called "Noah," my little boy just looked at her and said, "My name is Buzz Lightyear."


It continued. She was laughing pretty hard when she went to listen to his heart and he said "Don't push this red button!!! My wings will pop out and knock you across the room!" She promised she'd be careful. And when the good doctor examined him, he had Noah lie back to check his tummy. But "Buzz" told him that he had to put his helmet down first or it would break.

THEN... As the doctor was leaving the room, Noah (up on the exam table) put his hands on his knees and said, "Mom, he is just SUCH a nice doctor!" I saw the doctor laugh and shut the door behind him.

The diagnosis was that Noah has caught an additional virus while trying to get better from the first sickness. But no cause for alarm. The doctor said his fever would jump up and down over the next 24 hours, but he should be feeling better soon. When we got home, Noah fell asleep on the couch after more Tylenol. Then we figured that he should be in bed. Just as Kev and I had settled him into his favorite sheets and read him a story....

Vomit. Up came breakfast, lunch, and his most recent dose of medicine. Yikes.

I was afraid to give him anything else for a little while, so his fever spiked to 104 again and he was miserable. I was SO nervous to leave him, close the door, and go to my own bed. So I tried to sleep by him for a few hours. Then I tried more Tylenol and he settled down, but still burned hot. I don't think his fever came down below 101 all night. Yuck. Then I went to bed just after 12:30, setting my alarm for 2 so that I could stay on top of his meds. I THINK, but I'm not sure this morning because it's all blending together, that Noah pretty much called for me about every 45 minutes. By 3:30, I finally gave in and woke Kevin up and asked him to lay by Noes for a little while. I REALLY didn't want to do that. Kevin goes to work by 6 every morning and he's been fighting an oncoming cold as well. He needed his sleep. But I just needed one uninterrupted hour. My second alarm went off at 6 for another dose of meds. I found Kevin still sleeping next to our feverish little boy. So cute. We got him settled again and we both went to bed this time. 45 minutes later... "Mommy... Daddy... Mommy?"

So sweet. I laid by him for another while, and then he said he wanted to try to eat something. Awesome!

So here we are downstairs. It's just after 8:30 this morning. Noah's been on the couch for about an hour, munching dry Crispix and watching CARS. Still burning a fever... Kevin's asleep upstairs with Abbie, and I'm trying to remember what year it is.

Good times! I'm hoping that today will go better.

I need to go pull someone's favorite sheets out of the dryer....


3 comments:

Smith family said...

I hope Noah is on the mend now, but Noah's warning to the nurse trying to listen to his heart had me in tears of laughter trying to read that out loud to Dad. We could just picture Noah saying that! What a funny guy, hope he's feeling much better.

Jaime Dubois said...

So sorry that little Noah is sick! I hope he feels much better soon!!

P.S. My little guy has the sniffles today...I feel your pain a little!

KaraLee Stephenson said...

That's my Noah . . . er. . . I mean Buzz! I hope he's back to his old self soon.