Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The tradition continues...


Yes... it's true. The Luminaria has now come to Nebraska officially as of this Christmas Eve!!! We've wanted to do it so badly for many years now, but we always found ourselves home in Oregon or unable to make it happen for one reason or another. But this year we did it and I'm SOOOO thrilled to carry on this tradition. If you're not sure what the dilly I'm talking about, please see last year's Luminaria HERE.


Noah already knew what to do with the sand, the bags, and the candles. And when it was time to light them just before dark, he helped me like a pro! I hope he looks back and remembers this tradition with fondness, and maybe will carry it forward wherever life may take him! That's an exciting thought. I wonder if MY parents ever thought that there would be Luminaria around the country someday because of their efforts. Unfortunately, the Luminaria in Oregon was a no-go this year. They were under high wind warning and it would have been a frustrating fire hazard. How sad! Next year...

I was a little wary that our neighbors wouldn't want us to light up some candles in the Nebraska wind either. But as I began to place the bags and candles in the early afternoon, our neighbor came out and was so thrilled! He was actually leaving for Christmas Eve and wouldn't be back for a few days, but he wondered if we had enough to do his side of the driveway as well. Awesome. And of course we made enough to place on our other neighbor's driveway. Mr. Bud passed away in November. He was a dear friend, a one of a kind artist, and we wanted to remember him this Christmas.


Can't WAIT for next year!!!

3 comments:

Brianna said...

I think that is a wonderful tradition! So simple, and peaceful...

Marilyn said...

I am from New Mexico and they were a big tradition there. Each year the Seminary youth decorated the Stake Center. It was gorgeous!1

Jaime Dubois said...

I'm so glad that you have continued the tradition! And, what a sweet tribute to your neighbor. I especially love that Noah got so excited about it. :)