Monday, April 5, 2010

Hunters and Gatherers


Several of the families with small children in our ward got together on Saturday for an Easter egg hunt. We went out to a beautiful nature preserve and park area called Pioneers Park and spent the afternoon in the glorious sun! I heard reports that some of you had SNOW on Easter. Since I think that Nebraska has had its fair share of snow, I would just like to say.... Ha ha!!! Just kidding. But not. No really, we sure ate up the sunshine and 60 degree weather.

Here's the park:


Every family brought candy-filled eggs, and while some of the parents distracted the kiddos at the playground area, the rest of us hid the hundred or so plastic goodies in trees, around bushes, and all through the grass.

Here's the gang:



Ready.... Go!!!!


Abbie Bear was supervising... "Hey, Noah... To your left. No, your OTHER left. Dude, it's a pink one, K?"


Noah's Easter basket of choice. A HUGE shocker, I know.



Noah started out strong. He found 4 or 5 eggs right away, but then immediately wanted to sit and open them for the candy. I tried to tell him that he could go find as many as he wanted to and THEN partake of the goodness, but he was content. I have to admit that warmed my heart a little.


I loved how, just as we had predicted, the older kids made fast work of all the eggs hidden in the tree areas and the ones up higher. Then there were the little ones (and Noah!) who preferred to be "the gleaners." Just sauntering along, finding eggs in the grass and finding the eggs that had been overlooked by the massive cloud of dust full of the older kids as they swept through the area. In the end, everyone seemed happy with what they had in the baskets, and especially what they found INSIDE the eggs. I loved that the older kids went around putting some eggs in other baskets when it was all over. What sweeties. :)

I think we'll definitely do this again next year. Easter egg hunts are some of my fondest memories, although ours usually involved our little living room while we were all in pajamas. And there was ALWAYS the egg hidden way up high on Daddy's coo-coo clock from Germany. Good times...



Kevin thinks this video is funny. As I crouched down to get a picture, I bumped the panic button on the car keys in my pocket. I startled a few of the kids, but they recovered quickly!





Sweetest little gatherer:




Love,

"The Easter Bunny's Helper"


2 comments:

Shauna said...

Ask Greg to tell you about one of Kevin's first Easter egg hunts. Greg said when the hunt started, all the big kids ran and scooped up almost everything. Little Kevin found one piece of stepped on candy and held it up, so happy to found it. Like Noah, he had no expectations.

Jaime Dubois said...

I'm so glad that you did that Easter egg hunt for Noah and all the kids. It's great that you make it happen! He looks like he was having a great time, and I LOVE the sunglasses. What a stylin' dude! :)

P.S. That reminds me of our Easter egg hunt this year at the Dubois house. Savannah found an egg with nothing in it. Rather than feel jipped or something, she exclaimed, "It's a wishing egg!" Now that's my glass half full kind of girl!