Sunday, November 6, 2011

Miracle on SW 34th Street...


Yes... We now live on SW 34th Street. Hence, the title of this post. The miracle that I refer to is that, after just 4 weeks in the NICU, at 4 weeks old and at 35 weeks gestation...

My babies are finally coming home. TODAY.

It's so unbelievable!!!!! The little ones have accomplished SO very much in the last week. It's all happened so fast and it seemed like every day that I came into the NICU the nurses had a new surprise for us. Sunday evening, as Mom and I were holding the babes, I asked their nurse when she thought they would move the twins into the same room and into the same crib for the rest of their stay at the hospital. She said she would find out. Within an hour the babes were resting peacefully in one massive crib and all of their things were consolidated into the same room. My heart felt so happy. Up until that moment, I've had to choose who to sit by and who's room to spend time in for that next little while. I could only really hold one of them and be with one of them at a time. I felt so torn and divided. But the moment my babies moved into one room and one crib, I felt so peaceful and could start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.


Both of my darlings' heart rates and respiration rates on the same monitor. :)



THEN... Just a few days later, both Liam and Sia had started taking every feeding by bottle. It was like the little light bulb turned on in their heads and they realized that they could do it.


One afternoon, after I'd left the hospital to spend time with Noah, they took their sixth bottle in a row. The doctor said that they could have their gavage tubes removed. When I returned later that evening, the nurse had the biggest smile on her face. She said she had a surprise for me. Their beautiful little faces were tube-free and angelic when I greeted them. Amazing!!!!


Gram and the Little Ones:



Since then, they have been champions at feeding and have gained weight continually. Just on Thursday the doctor met me at their NICU room when I came in that morning and gave me the biggest shock of my life. I had still expected the babes to stay for at least another week or so. But the doctor looked at me and said that my darlings would be going home in a day or so. For real??????? THAT was a fun phone call to make to Kevin and my parents!

So here I am, at 2 in the morning (really 3 am, thanks to daylight savings time!), and I'm too excited to sleep because today is the day that I can bring my babies home. :) When I kissed them goodnight a few short hours ago, I promised them that Daddy and I would be back in the morning. And that this time we would not leave without them.

We will post pictures of their homecoming soon. But not until we get settled... And introduce them to their puppy. :)

Love,
One exhausted but VERY happy Mommy
@>->--

3 comments:

The Magalogo Family said...

I'm so happy for you guys and that they are doing so well!!! Congrats!

Jaime Dubois said...

Yay! Best news EVER!! They truly are little miracle babies...they have done better than anybody would have thought. Enjoy every minute...and try to get some sleep somewhere in there! :)

~Jaime

Gramma Zimmer said...

We were so happy to read the babies are coming home.They are so beautiful. They are indeed miracles;
Love Grandma and Grandpa Zimmer