Friday, October 17, 2008

Ba-Bye Pacifiers!!!

Yes, it's true. Noah's days of happily sucking away while driving in the car, riding in the stroller and, most importantly, sleeping like an angel at naptime and bedtime are OVER as of this afternoon!

I've been thinking about how I wanted to tackle this event, since I didn't want it to be traumatic. He's been through so much these last few months, and Kevin isn't home yet from his 6 week training in Dallas. This is the main reason as to why Noah still has his pacies at almost 21 months. I just didn't want to fight that battle when pretty much EVERYTHING in his little world has been turned upside down lately and he still doesn't have his daddy back. But then I woke up this morning and said to myself, "Let's make a game of it." And more importantly, I wanted him to take part in saying good-bye to them.

So after mid-morning applesauce, we went up to his room and read a few books. Not unusual. Then I told him that we were going to play a game and I wanted to tell him something first. I handed him one of the pacies from his crib and we went around his room looking at pictures of him when he was a tiny baby, and then pictures of him getting bigger and bigger until he saw his one-year picture on the wall. The whole time I told him about how when he was a baby, he loved his pacies and now that he's a big boy he could still love them, but he didn't need them anymore. Then we played the "game" of finding all the pacifiers in the house, diaper bags and cars and putting them in his little green basket.


Then we pulled the step stool up to the sink and Noah helped me wash all the pacifiers. I think he got a few soap suds in his mouth from the occasional suck, but he did such a great job and seemed pleased with himself when we were done.




Then we left them alone for an hour to really dry out while we watched an Elmo video. Noah is quickly becoming attached to Elmo and Sesame Street. I'm actually glad because I was a Sesame Street girl. Now we just need to bring back the Muppet Show! Eh-hem, but I digress.

When they were dry, Noah helped me to put them into a baggie. I explained that they were all clean and ready to go bye-bye. I carried him out the car in the garage and said that they were going bye-bye so we should give them kisses and wave! He thought this was so silly...And it really was. I wish I could have been an outsider looking in... No, that's not true. I wouldn't have traded being IN that moment for anything. I helped my brave little boy give the baggie kisses, and then he gave Mommy kisses, and then Mommy gave the baggie kisses, and so on. He was giggling like crazy and finally we set the bag on the front seat and closed the car door. We waved at the them as we walked back inside. He went right on the other things!

I'm not sure how all this will play out, but I do know that at least Noah was part of it. Hopefully that will help! And the proof is that about an hour later, I laid him down for a nap with his sippy cup, his blanket and a good book. No complaints... Hallelujah!!!! Knock on wood... We'll see how it goes tonight.







Yeah, so if any of you get a frantic phone call at 1:00am and I'm on the other end pulling my hair out while he signs "car" all night long, I'm sorry. At least I tried!!!

Nicole

@>->--

8 comments:

Smith family said...

What a cute and clever way to have Noah involved in the process. I loved the idea of putting them all in a baggy (and I must say there were quite a lot them :) and kissing them goodbye! Good luck tonight, that will be the most telling, but stand tough, remind him he's a big boy now, and you might want to move those pacifiers to somewhere that he can't see them.
I did kind of the same thing with Brittany when "we" decided she could give up diapers (years ago). No accidents or trouble, she was kind of excited by it all, with new "big girl underwear" that she got to pick out herself. All went well for a couple of weeks until the newness wore and one morning she decided potty training was maybe more trouble than she wanted to deal with and asked if she could have her diapers back?! I had removed them from the house and hid them in the garage so had to tell her they were all gone. She accepted that explanation and that was that!
Noah is a big boy now, give him plenty of hugs and love, and you and he will do just fine! Love, Mom

Jaime Dubois said...

I am so impressed, Nicole. You are such a good mother. I think the way that you allowed Noah to be part of the "good-byes" was perfect. I know I wouldn't have thought of anything that clever. Hopefully it will last. He is getting to be so big...I can hardly stand it!

Unknown said...

I like how Mom specifies that Brittany gave up diapers "years ago." Funny stuff! Happy birthday to Brittany!

Jaime Dubois said...

Just wanting a bit of an update...how did it go last night? Was it horrible or surprisingly okay?

Brianna said...

You are brave...Marlee still has her binki (for sleeping only) and she's 2 1/2! I just can't find the right time to take it. First came baby sister (who also uses a binki), and now we're potty training and that's stressful enough. I hope it's working out for you.

Amanda said...

Oh no! I dread the day......I don't know how to do it, either. Nathan hated pacies and never took them. Laila never really took them during the day, just when she was going to sleep. However, she has recently become VERY attached and walks around the house all day with her blankie and paci in tow. Its just too cute!

AmyPoll said...

Just stick to it and if he hasn't already, he will accept it. You are such a cute Mom!!!

Mandi said...

Okay....that has to be the biggest pacifier collection I have ever seen! :) I have to say that seeing him with his binkies (as we call them) makes me want to hold him and kiss and squeeze him! There is just something about our little baby boys and seeing how much they love those things that makes me melt! It brought back the days when Parker had his and I totally miss it! We tossed his out when he was 18 months and I'll never forget the whole experience! You are a great mom!