Friday, October 19, 2012

What a difference a YEAR makes....



One year ago this week my sweet babes were tucked in safely at the NICU, feeding through a tube down their perfect little button noses.  I was elated, overwhelmed, EXHAUSTED, overjoyed, and sooooooooooooooo happy.  My little ones, my miracle IVF babies, had made it to 31 weeks and 1 day before they were born.  Their little lungs were premature, but healthy.  Their hearts were strong, but still a little fragile.  They were just tiny and needed to stay in the hospital until they could learn to eat.  We longed for the day when we could bring them home.

This morning, I had to use my leg muscles as I lifted up both of my babes to bring them downstairs to breakfast.  All together, they weigh just under 41 pounds.  Heavens!!!  They giggle as I bounce them on my hips to the tune of their favorite songs.  I do my best to keep the cheerios coming and spoon yogurt to them as they eat.  I am elated, overwhelmed, not so exhausted now, completely overjoyed, and happy beyond description.

I thought a little picture comparison would say more than I could write this morning.  Here are some pictures of Liam and Xiomara, first at three weeks old in the NICU, and next at one year old lying next to the same little outfits that they wore in the hospital.  The picture at the top of this post is just to show how TINY these little outfits are compared to a dollar bill.  I still remember how they fit my babies perfectly and even left a little room to grow back then. :)

Liam - taken October 28, 2011... He weighed 4 lbs 9 oz


Liam - taken October 7, 2012... He weighs 19 lbs 13.5 oz


Xiomara - taken October 28, 2011... She weighed 4 lbs 6.5 oz


Xiomara - taken October 7, 2012... She weighs 20 lbs 15 oz


What a difference this year has made....  In so many ways and in all things. :)


2 comments:

Jaime Dubois said...

Wow, I mean WOW!!!! Such a HUGE difference in just a year. I'm glad all is well and that you are happy as can be. I'm glad the babes are thriving. I'm glad to be part of their life. Love you all! :)

C said...

Such beautiful babies. Hard to believe at one time they fit into those tiny clothes!