Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Teaching Moment...


So Noah and I were coloring pictures of Sesame Street characters the other day. I was trying to get him to wind down a little before attempting to get him to take a nap. It's a proper negotiation some days. Hostage negotiators should really take notes from mothers of toddlers! Anywhoo...

Noah started talking about how his Sesame Street friends are all different colors. Elmo being red, Oscar green, Big Bird yellow and so on. I thought this would be a great teaching moment. We started talking about how people sometimes are different colors and that no matter what color of skin we have, we are all the same. He looked a little confused, so I tried to paint it into something he could grasp. (Lincoln is actually quite a diverse city with the university and all the different cultural hot spots in the area... We're so glad!) I told him no matter what a person looks like on the outside, we all have two eyes. Noah pointed to his eyes... We all have a nose. He pointed to the cutest little boy nose in the world... And we all have a heart. Then my little dude taught me a lesson. He looked at me and said:

"... All haf Be-Bo's!"

"Be-Bo's" being belly buttons. See Sandra Boynton's awesome book HERE.

Yeah.... He got it. But I was the one being taught. :)

And yes. Noah proudly displayed his belly button to anyone who would watch the rest of the day.

Love,
Nicole
@>->--

2 comments:

Brenda Scarlett said...

That is so cute. That Noah is so smart :)

Jaime Dubois said...

That one just makes me smile! Love that boy!! :)