Monday, January 19, 2009

The Beast

As some of you may know, I (Kevin) took on a little project after Christmas. Our old Dell desktop has served us well but is getting up there in age a little bit (going on 6 years now). We decided we wanted a new computer, and I decided I wanted to put it together myself. It's something I've always been curious about doing, and now seemed like as good a time as any. It actually was pretty easy and I would definitely do it this way again. For those who have been asking about the components I used, here you go. I thought about putting some nerdy comments about each component and any problems/solutions, but decided against it. I don't want to bore you too much!

This first group of stuff all came in the barebones kit I bought. Sometimes you can get stuck with stuff you don't like in a kit, but this had stuff I was already looking at and it saved me like $120 by buying it together (It was $499 with the $30 rebate for the RAM):
These are the other things I bought to finish it up:
We had already owned a Logitech MX1000 mouse and Logitech z-2300 speakers for a few years and a Samsung 24" widescreen monitor, so I didn't have to worry about those things. In the end, everything works fabulously and I only had a few minor hiccups along the way (had to manually install the ethernet driver and I had to take it all apart once in order to reseat the cpu fan when the cpu temp shot up to 60 degrees celsius while messing with the BIOS).

Here are a few pictures:

Just getting started...
Motherboard is in, but no video card, hard drive, or cables yet.

All done!

Side by side with the old Dell:


And now a little bonus for indulging me this long. Noah's favorite hiding place: the ottoman!



~Kevin

4 comments:

Jaime Dubois said...

Wow, Kevin, I am seriously impressed!!! That kind of stuff really intimidates me...it makes me feel really stupid...and as we all know I hate feeling stupid about anything. :) Maybe I can hire you to come set up my computer when I decide to get a new one???

Oh, and Noah is such a cutie. I love his new hiding spot. :)

C said...

Go Kev. I'll have to have J take a look at this.

Smith family said...

I've always wanted to put together my own computer too. Problem is I have trouble figuring out how to turn the dang thing on and off.
DAD

chaela said...

Now that I've taken a technology class I understood that whole post! woop! Although I don't think I could put it together like you did.

Nice job Kevin.

P.S. did you SEE how cute Noah is in those pictures?!