Friday, July 10, 2009

Mr. Independent


Happy fabulous 4th of July!!! Last weekend... Anyway! We had a great 4th of July here in 'Braska. Now that we live in a place where fireworks are not illegal, I was amazed at the mania. I personally wanted to introduce Noah to sparklers, a favorite of mine from when I was little. How many of us have spelled our name with gold, blue, green, and red sparkles just when it turned dark and we were waiting for the big show to start??? Good times. :) Oh! And there were Starburst and Twizzlers candies involved...

So I braved a few of the THOUSANDS of fireworks stands that emerged over night on every corner of this great city. Usually right across the street from each other. Talk about competition! I went to a few because all I could find were gold sparklers and I really wanted Noah to see different colors. Finally I found some blue and green as well. But I am telling you... I have NEVER seen fireworks purchases like I beheld in those little tents. People were walking out with rockets taller than Noah. The guys in front of me at one stand bought over $300.00 worth of fireworks and said that they were cutting back this year. I just smiled and nodded. Then I paid for my $1.25 sparklers and walked sheepishly to my car.

This July 4th was also special because we got to spend it with Jillian. She came out for the weekend, just in time to help us with the sparklers! After the first two sparklers, Noah decided that it was more fun to go look for bunny rabbits in the yard. I'm a little grateful that he wasn't a pyromaniac at this stage, but now I have lots of left-over sparklers for next time. How do you store those anyway?



Notice all the SMOKE behind us? Yeah, the whole city was like that for awhile. Every neighborhood had their own fireworks display, usually out of someone's front yard. Next year Noah will have more fun with it.... I think. :)


Boom.... Pop!

Nicole
@>->--

2 comments:

Jaime Dubois said...

Boom-pops! Boom-pops! Boom-pops!

Looks like you had a very exciting 4th of July. I love the stickers on your faces and the sparklers. Glad that you had so much fun!

Amy Simms said...

You are such a fun mom! We did sparklers too this year. It is so fun to see little ones writing thier names and it certianly does bring back memories.

Hope you are doing great! Have a fabulous day.